SOLKOA and is known as the SUMA container (pictured above). The SUMA container can be used for cooking and digging without damaging the container finish. The proposed color options for the DEVGRU kit are Desert Tan (pictured here) and OD/Forest Green. Since SEALs are amphibious the kit needs to be somewhat water-resistant. The SUMA has a weather resistant gasket that you can see in the lid of the photo above.
Pictured above is my personal SUMA Container that I've used for around six months. It's the absolute best when looking at Personal Survival Kit containers. I've seen quite a few people comment about the high price of this container. Coming in at $50 it's not one of the cheapest options on the market. But an Altoids or similar tin won't hold up to combat operations. Typically survival kits are placed in the rucksack, patrol pack, butt pack, or in the tac vest when on military operations. I know- ideally it's best to have your survival gear on your person but real world there's too many other things that go there, like ammo and more ammo. With that said, rucks get tossed around and chest rigs get beat up during combat operations. So the hard case needs to be extremely durable to stand up to these conditions. I'll do a more informed review of the SUMA Container in the future.
|Representation of some of the gear included in the hard case kit|
- Mini Multi-tool (made of stainless steel w/ pliers, wire cutter, file, and awl)
- 14mm AA liquid filled compass that luminous for up to 8 hours
- Red LED squeeze light (red used to protect night vision as well as not to give away your position)
- Ferrocerium Rod w/ 4 Tinder Tabs in resealable bag
- 40 Water purification Tablets in Amber Vial
- 2 Electrolyte Tablets
- 2" x 3" Signal Mirror (non-mirrored side covered w/ IR reflective material)
- Thermal Blanket (one side silver other side blaze orange)
- 15 feet of Kevlar Cord (yellow or green in color)
- 4 safety pins
- P-38 can opener
- 2 feet of stainless steel wire
- 26" Duct tape (brown or green)
- Fresnal magnifying lens
- 4 Sheets of Waterproof notepaper (desert tan color)
- Pressurized ink pen
- Pack of antibiotic ointment
- 2" x 2.5" cotton pad
- 2 liter water storage bag
The contents of the hard case will handle a variety of situations. Things like regular field craft items as well as some med gear to address minor injuries. I did like the inclusion of kevlar cordage for the kit. Kevlar cordage is super tough for its size and doesn't take up much space. For the most part there was an emphasis on gear suited for a combat environment. Like the red filtered LED. I do question the orange emergency blanket in regard to concealment. When in bad guy country I'd like to have something that blends in. Like the OD Green space blanket in the U.S. Marine Survival Kit.
|Universal Handcuff Key w/ Key Style Shim|
We don't have much information about the soft cased section of the kit. It seems it will measure 3.5" x 2.25" and will be a subdued desert color. It will also have a U.S. flag patch on the front of the kit. The other side of the soft case will have a patch of "hook and loop" velcro that also allows entry into the kit.
The contents for the soft case:
- Carbon steel hacksaw blade w/ lanyard hole and reverse tanto tip. (similar to a ferro rod striker, I have a photo but forgot to post)
- Ceramic Razor Blade
- Moleskin adhesive patch
- 24" of Kevlar thread
- Stainless steel fishing leader
- Suspended navigation magnet (pretty much a rare earth magnet with one end painted indicating north)
- 1.75" Ferro rod
- Cotton ball impregnated in wax
- 3 black bobby pins
- Universal Handcuff Key (pictured above)
- Handcuff Shim (pictured above)
It seems the contents of the soft case are more directed towards Escape and Evading enemy capture. Seeing the hacksaw blade is named by itself makes me believe it has been included for more than just a ferro rod striker. Kevlar cord is commonly used to escape from zip-tie or flexi-cuff restraints as seen in my video HERE. SEALs are known for having longer hair than most servicemen, but I have to believe the bobby pins were added for more than keeping their bangs out of their eyes. On a serious note, bobby pins can be used to escape handcuffs by shimming and picking (I have a video showing this technique coming up shortly).
Since DEVGRU operates behind enemy lines, the Universal Handcuff key and Handcuff shim were an excellent decision to be included in the kit. I personally have one of each in my own. Both of these items can be purchased through our store to those that have a Black Scout Membership. If your interested in the Membership Program, check out the link at the top of the page.
Thats the rundown of the new DEVGRU Personal Recovery and Survival kit. Take their concept and compare it to your own PSK, see how yours stacks up. If we find out any other info about the kit or contents we will post it in the future.
GET YOUR DEVGRU- SEAL TEAM 6 KIT http://www.precisionriflesupply.com/navy-seal-seal-team-6-survival-kit-suma-pro-suma-psk-large/